Updating ahchors and tags

Hypothetically, I have 3 anchors and 1 tag. Let’s assume the anchors are in places they can’t be accessed easily. What’s the minimal ‘equipment’ the anchors and tag would need so that the software could be updated wirelessly?

what u are looking for is called OTA (Over The Air) update. Usually, the uC flash needs to be partition such that it has free space allocated for the updated fw, which means ur program need to be half the size. So in case the update fails, it will fall back on the older fw. In the nRF terms, it’s Dual Bank Update. There is also the Single Bank Update but im not sure how the nRF handle it when the update fails. It’s always best to allocate space for the new fw but then again this will limit ur program size.

https://infocenter.nordicsemi.com/index.jsp?topic=%2Fug_nrfconnect_ble%2FUG%2FnRF_Connect_BLE%2FnRF_Connect_DFU.html

also there is a library written that allows a hardware interface from an esp32 to the nRF which u can use to update the rRF via a web browser. This way u can get better range OTA, with OTA DFU u need to make sure u are inside the BT range. But it’s a hack.

@uni as per the other post @exus-mu is using STM32, not nRF52 and not ESP32

Here @uni was right about the “OTA” Over The Air update part. But this is an advanced functionality compared to the source code examples provided by Decawave.

• The first question, do you want to use UWB as RF for the wireless update ? Or will the STM32 have any other BT or wifi connection.
  • UWB can be used as PHY for 802.15.4a which is a Low-Rate Personal Area Network
  • But the driver you get from Decawave only support the PHY level and do not provide a full stack. Some RTOS like Zephyr do offer a full network stack supporting DW devices.

• Another option is to use an existing OTA framework and replace the transport protocol with the UWB phy, but this is not a simple task

What I recommend is to start searching and asking both of Decawave and STM. I know that Decawave do have wireless firmware update for their PANS firmware which is closed source.

STM do offer OTA but only for the family STM32WB which comes with a wireless RF on chip, that could be a basis for you to adapt.

i see. aaaaaaaaaaaaaaabbb